|Store the lettuce and cheese separate from the meat/beans to keep them from getting soggy!|
Here's what I used and how I made my Homemade Burrito Bowl:
- 99% Fat Free Refried Black Beans
- Extra Lean Ground Beef (90/10)
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Shredded Cheddar
- Shredded Iceberg Lettuce
- 1 packet Low Sodium Taco Seasoning
- Boil-in-a-Bag Brown Rice
- Juice from Half of a Lime
- 1/8 cup Cilantro, chopped
- Dash of Salt
- If you want rice with your burrito bowl, cook rice according to package instructions. Once the rice is done cooking, add lime juice, salt and chopped cilantro. I don't mind a stronger cilantro taste, so I used 1/8 cup. Feel free to add/reduce the amount of cilantro to taste.
- Brown ground beef in skillet, adding taco seasoning toward the end of cooking; mix well. Once the ground beef is fully cooked, cover the skillet and turn the burner down to low heat, allowing the meat to soak up the flavor of the seasoning.
- Slice 5 cherry tomatoes in half lengthwise.
- Optional: start with 1/2 cup rice
- Top rice (if using) or start with 3 oz. ground beef
- Add 1/4 cup beans, sliced tomatoes, and 1 cup of lettuce
- Sprinkle with 1/8 cup shredded cheddar
Here's the nutritional break down:
Overall, this is a great meal with tons of protein. It's also quick and easy to make, so even better!