*This post originally appeared on Totally Stitchin'.*
Valentine's Day is only a couple weeks away, so it's time to get those creative juices flowing and whip a set of handmade Valentines for the special people in your life! This project only takes about an hour and a half, and when you're done, you'll have a set of 12 cards to give out.
- "Be Mine" Heart Printable (Click here to download.)
- "Happy Valentine's Day" Square Printable (Click here to download.)
- 3 Sheets of 8.5x11" Decorative Paper (I used this textured pink paper from Michaels.)
- 3 Sheets of 8.5x11" Kraft Cardstock
- Tape (I used masking tape, but really scotch tape or double sided tape would work just as well.)
- Black Ink Pad
- Contrasting Thread (I used light pink thread since I was using a darker pink decorative paper.)
- Sewing Machine
- Print out your shapes.
- Cut out your shapes.
To speed up the process, use a paper cutter, if you have one, for the squares.
- Cut out 12, 3" squares from the sheets of Kraft cardstock.
- Distress the edges of the "Be Mine" hearts and "Happy Valentine's Day" squares.
Take your black ink pad and brush it along the edges of all of your "Be Mine" hearts and "Happy Valentine's Day" squares. This just gives it a more worn look, and really, there's no wrong way to do this. If you haven't done this before, test it out on some paper scraps until you get the hang of it. Let the ink dry for about 15 minutes.
- Tape "Be Mine" hearts to 3" Kraft squares.
- Sew around the edge of the hearts.
Using a straight stitch, sew around the edge of the hearts to secure them to the Kraft squares. It can get a little tricky to sew around the curves of the heart, so just go slow and ease around the edges.
- Tape "Happy Valentine's Day" squares to 3" Kraft squares.
- Sew around the edge of the "Happy Valentine's Day" squares.
Using a straight stitch, sew around the edges of the "Happy Valentine's Day" squares to attach them to the Kraft squares
- Personalize your Valentines.
I designed the "Happy Valentine's Day" squares with the intent that there be a space for a personalized message, whether it be a to/from type thing or a quick little love note.
If interested, Michael's sells envelopes that fit 3" squares in either white or Kraft. Have fun making and personalizing your handmade Valentines! Feel free to share a photo of your Valentines on the Totally Stitchin' Facebook page. We'd love to see what you make!
I did not receive any compensation from Michael's or any other companies linked to in this post.